Board of Directors
As PVS is both a public school and a non-profit organization, it is governed by a board of directors. The PVS board consists of up to 15 volunteers: including faculty representatives, parents, and members of the broader community. The board is responsible for the legal and financial management of the school as an organization, while the Executive Director oversees the day-to-day operations.
The board holds open public meetings the third Thursday of every month. Typically these meetings are held in upper school, but during the covid-19 related closure all board meetings are being held on zoom. We encourage all interested community members to attend. You are very welcome and we provide a period devoted to public comment during each meeting. The zoom meeting links are shared via school community wide email the Sunday prior to each meeting, and are also posted in the left hand column of this page.
The board carries out its work through committees, which are always welcoming new members. Below are brief descriptions of this year’s committees, along with their meeting schedule. Anyone interested in serving on one is encouraged to attend a meeting or contact the committee chair.
Board Members 2020-2021 School Year
- Maureen Markey, Board President: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ian Terrel, Board Secretary: email@example.com
- Tom Klein, Treasurer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Scheper Haughey, Vice President/Fundraising Chair: email@example.com
- Phyllis Kasparian, Evaluation Chair: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graham Parks: email@example.com
- Kerry Lyles Kerry.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shay Carrillo Shay.email@example.com
- Angeline Palmer Angeline.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jenna Stephens, Teacher Representative: email@example.com
- Kerry Lambertus, Teacher Representative: Klambertus@portlandvillageschool.org
- Equity,Diversity and Inclusion Chair: This position is temporarily held by Maureen Markey and Jessica Scheper Haughey. A new committee chair will be added by board vote in Fall 2020.
Board Committees 2020-2021
Fundraising: Responsible for the Direct Giving campaign and various fundraising events throughout the school year. Meets the second Thursday of every month at 5:30. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Home Committee: Working to find a permanent location for PVS. Contact: email@example.com
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee: Working to keep equity central in decision making so that PVS can be an equitable and welcoming place for all. Meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:00 PM
- Director Evaluation Committee: works collaboratively with the principal to develop goals and measurable outcomes for the year. The committee gathers information from stakeholders regarding progress toward those goals and compiles the responses and data for review by the board of directors. This committee meets periodically throughout the year and regularly from January to May. Contact Phyllis.Kasparian.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to contact the Committee Chairs for more information. All PVS Board and Committee meetings are open to the public and we welcome your volunteer interest.
Bylaws of the Portland Village School
Officially Adopted Policies
In 2013 the board adopted a new set of policies. They can be found here.
Charter School Contract
The Charter School Contract between Portland Village School and PPS was initially approved in 2008 and is re-approved by vote of the PPS Board of Education at 1, 5, or 10 year intervals. In March 2020 Portland Village School was granted a full 10 year renewal. The full contract with additional amendments can be found Here
Strategic Plan 2017-2020
The Strategic Plan approved by the Board of Directors in 2016 can be found here. The Board of Directors will be engaging in a process of developing the strategic plan for 2021-2024 this school year. Stay tuned for opportunities to add your voice to the vision.
Board Committee Minutes
Adopted Board Meeting and Committee minutes can be found by following this link.